National Honor Society: Helping the community one step at a time

Keenan Lantz, Reporter

As you may already be aware, the National Honor Society is one of the many clubs available at Memorial. Though it is a bit of work to be admitted, the benefits of the program make it worth it. First of all, NHS looks great on a college resume. Secondly, the feeling of pride after participating in community service is truly a special thing.

A few simple requirements must be met in order to be accepted into NHS.

A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher is necessary. The window for application is open only during second semester of either sophomore or junior year.  Finally, you must write a short resume, which will be reviewed by a staff committee.

If accepted, you will attend a large ceremony, welcoming you into the program. Following the initiation, you will become responsible for the basic requirements necessary to remain a member.

Once you become a member, you must maintain a 3.5 GPA.  Additionally, ten hours of community service per semester are needed. Plenty of fun and creative options are available to satisfy those service hours. They include participating in large events, such as the E.C. Marathon, the 5K Puddle Jump and the MHS Blood Drive. Through these events the NHS raises thousands of dollars for charities each year.

Or if you would prefer to earn your hours in a more personal environment, there are lots of tutoring opportunities available at most local schools. Hundreds of elementary, middle and high school students require tutoring assistance. Tutors serve as a role-model for younger students and help them be more successful at school.

The pride of being a NHS member is well worth the effort. If you have a 3.5 GPA, I recommend joining. Being an NHS member truly brings me joy when I see the impact we have on our community.