Poetry Slam Club makes a safe place for self-expression

Rachel Walters, Reporter

Do you often find yourself writing down how you feel into a work of poetry or writing? Do you want to connect with people through your writing or even just listen to other people express their writing? If you answered yes to any of these, Poetry Slam Club is the perfect match for you!

This is a club specifically for the purpose of people who have a lot to say through the art of writing and want to connect with other people who share the same interest – to be heard.

Addressing concerns about sharing work out loud Poetry Slam Club President Sophomore Alice Galdamez said, “It’s a place for people who want to write but do not have to share out loud with everybody else in the club.” She added, “It’s always great to hear what people have to express and always inspiring but we don’t want to pressure anybody into doing anything they are not comfortable with, only encourage. For those who do chose to share their work out loud with everyone in the club it stays within the club so people have an environment in which they feel safe and comfortable with sharing out loud. There are opportunities where people can share with a whole audience when we arrange open mic night which is always exciting!”

If you’re the kind of person that wants to write and share with others like you then go to room 1980 Fridays from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. Poetry Slam Club is advised by Mr. Rasmussen.