The many functions of an ultrasound

Hanna Kaufman, Reporter

As my senior year and high school career end soon I am starting to seriously consider what I want to do, where I want to go and how I am going to accomplish the plans that have been the making for a while now.

My goal is to become an ultrasound technician once I graduate from CVTC. But what exactly is an ultrasound technician? What are they responsible for? And what does an ultrasound even do? We all know that expectant mothers go in to see their doctor about how the baby is growing and they generally get a picture taken to see the baby. That picture is an ultrasound.

They get a cold jelly on their stomachs to help prevent friction of the ultrasound transducer, which is similar to a microphone. The transducer sends high-frequency sound waves through your body. An ultrasound scan is a medical test that uses high-frequency sound waves to capture live images from the inside of your body. Ultrasound technician’s duties vary across specialties, from monitoring the development of a baby to evaluating the movement of blood throughout a patient’s vascular system. You can ultrasound just about anything, working with pregnancies is just a small portion of it.

Your doctor may order an ultrasound if you are experiencing pain, swelling, or other symptoms that require an internal view of your organs. An ultrasound can provide a view of the: bladder, brain (in infants), eyes, gallbladder, kidneys, liver, pancreas, spleen, thyroid, and blood vessels. Those are just some what an ultrasound scan can do. I want to become an ultrasound technician so I can be of help to the patients and the help doctors accurately diagnose problems.