FBLA trip engages students in world of business

Chris Dominski, Editor

Staff photo by Chris Dominski

Staff photo by Chris Dominski

The MHS chapter of the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) visited the Minneapolis office of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Dec. 10, 2015. The goal of the trip was to educate and inspire FBLA members about the vast and extensive amount of jobs requiring a business background. The members were led by teachers Mrs. Sylte, and Mrs. Hebert. Two school-leased minivans were used as transportation to Minneapolis. Upon arrival at Deloitte, the FBLA group was pleasantly greeted by several employees of the company including Michael Munger, a 2007 MHS graduate. Munger is currently a senior for the company. A brief presentation about Deloitte took place in a conference room that was followed by a tour of the office that offered a newly developed open concept format. Deloitte’s office features breathtaking sights of the Minneapolis skyline.

According to the Deloitte website, it was founded in 1898 by George A. Touche. The company was formed, ultimately due to the inception of capital stock during the Industrial Revolution. When the stock price of the Great Western Railway (GWR) decreased, the railway company turned to Touche to audit the company finances. After 117 years, the company has grown to gross an annual 35.2 billion dollars in revenue this past fiscal year.

The FBLA field trip offered a very concrete example of business careers to those in attendance, and intrigued the students with wonder and awe. If you would like to join FBLA, teachers Mrs. Sylte or Mrs. Hebert can be contacted.